Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Farmer's Market - Part II

The rain and humidity can't stop my trip to the Farmer's Market. I know I have mentioned the benefits of Kale before but today I would like to talk about two specific types of Kale which I picked up at Bodhitree Farm stand.

If you have been reading my blog you know I love Kale; I toss it in smoothies, add it to pasta dishes, and make it into chips and more. Below are two types of Kale which I picked up today:

Tuscan Kale – This Kale has a deep, earthy and nutty flavor and is often referred to as the Italian Variety. Like all kales, Tuscan is extraordinarily nutritious: a cup provides more than 100 percent of the daily value (DV) of vitamins K and A, and 88 percent of the DV for vitamin C. Tuscan Kale is a rich source of organosulfur compounds that have been linked to cancer prevention.

Russian Kale – This Kale is the sweetest and mildest Kale with no bitterness (great for a smoothie addition). Similar to Tuscan Kale and other forms of Kale it is loaded with vitamin A, B complex, and C. It is also a powerful antioxidant. One portion of kale is equal to just about 36 calories and can fulfill your Vitamin A needs for the entire day. It is also rich in beta carotene and enhances vision. It is also a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, iron, and manganese, high in dietary fiber and contributes to effective weight loss. Kale is also an anti-inflammatory and prevents skin diseases

How to Prepare: Use it in a salad, add it to a smoothie, sauté with some EVOO and garlic or add to a pasta dish. Some recipes I have made are Whole Wheat Pasta with Anchovies and Kale, Smoothies with Kale, Tilapia and Cockles with Kale and Cherry Tomatoes, Sausage with Israeli Cous Cous and Vegetables, Grilled Chicken and Kale Salad, Kale Chips

What is your favorite Kale dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment