Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dinner Bell is Ringing

As you already know, I have a broken foot, so cooking has been taking a back seat as of late. Well the backseat is being ejected from the car and I am getting back into the kitchen!!!

One of the perks of living in the city is that food stores are very convenient, but with a broken foot I have grown to learn that having my mom in the city is even better. This afternoon she stopped by to bring me some Tilapia Filets and Cockles.

With the fish she brought me I added the following items to the menu:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Zucchini
- Kalamata Olives
- Mediterranean seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Smart balance butter

I like to eat good food, but don't enjoy slaving over the stove for hours. I prefer to keep my meals to 20 minutes or less.

With this dinner I did the following:
- Julienne Zucchini (I use a peeler to save myself the mess of the mandolin)
- Season fish and place in deep pan with smart balance butter to pan sear
- Pan sear fish on each side for 2 minutes and then place cockles, cherry tomatoes and olives in the pan
- Pour chicken stock in pan to coat fish, cover and cook until all clams open
- While the fish is cooking sauté julienned zucchini in a second pan until soft with a pasta-like texture

And there you have it... Dinner is served in 20 minutes!

Julienned Zucchini can be just A Hint of Greens in a dish, or it can become the base of a dish, or just a healthy snack.

1 comment: