Monday, March 28, 2011

Alternatives to Dairy

After years of chronic sinus infections I finally went and had my food allergies tested, turns out I am allergic to dairy from a cow. I have learned that this is very common and remains untreated in many people. Once I was alerted to the allergy I went on a Candida Diet for 2 months which left me feeling better than ever.
 
Five years ago I was made aware of my allergy and to this day I continue to remain dairy free (aside from occasional dairy from a goat or sheep). With the government recommendation for adults ages 19-50 being 1000 mg of calcium per day it is important to find suitable alternatives. 


Below is a list of some of some of my favorite calcium enriched foods along with the amount of calcium per serving.

Food Item
Serving Size
Calcium mg
Spinach
1 cup boiled
245 mg
Green Turnips
1 cup boiled w/ salt
197 mg
Dandelion Greens
1 cup
140 mg
Kelp
1 cup raw
136 mg
Soybeans
¼ cup dry
129 mg
Arugula
4 cups
128 mg
Tahini
2 tbsp raw (sesame seed butter)
126 mg
Broccoli
2 cups boiled
124 mg
Macadamia Nuts
1 cup
114 mg
Kale
1 ¼ cup
113 mg
Swiss Chard
1 cup boiled
102 mg
Broccoli Rabe
3 ounces
100 mg
Sardines
2 items
92 mg
Sesame Seeds
1 tbsp
88 mg
Celery
2 cups raw
81 mg
Almonds
1 ounce (23 nuts)
75 mg
Papaya
1 medium
73 mg
Flax Seeds
3 tbsp
54 mg
Oranges
1 medium
52 mg

As you will see from the list provided above, eating a diet rich in dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and fruits will give you plenty of calcium and you'll get many other health benefits from these foods as well.

*Note: Even if you are not allergic to dairy and drink one cup of milk per day you are only getting 296 mg which still leaves you needing another 704 mg of calcium per day.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment