Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dining Out: Pure Food and Wine Bar

This past week I met up with two fellow students currently enrolled in IIN. It was nice to put some names to faces and get to know two other people going through the same process I am going through. After three years living a birds-eye-view from Pure Food and Wine Bar I was glad this was the chosen location since I had been wanting to try it.

We started off the meal by sharing the Plate Of Assorted Cultured Dr. Cow Tree Nut Cheeses And Rosemary Crisps accompanied with strawberries and pea shoots.


While I did not get a photo of the platter this one looks very similar. However the cheeses on our plate were an algae cashew cheese that was delightful and reminded me of a less aggressive blue cheese, an aged cashew and dulse (seaweed) that was nice and smoky and lastly an aged cashew cheese that was creamy with a light flavor.


Having an allergy to dairy this was by far my favorite part of the meal. I always enjoy learning about new foods and this was definitely a learning experience for me. I will definitely be on the lookout for stores selling Dr. Cow Nut Cheeses the Rosemary Quackers are available at Pure Food and Wine's takeaway Restaurant One Lucky Duck.

For entree's both Laura of The Daily Dubie and Alisha had the Sweet Corn And Cashew Tamales with chili spiced portabella, salsa verde, cashew coconut sour cream, avocado, raw cacao mole. They were both extremely pleased with the dish and how large the portions were.

I opted to have the Zucchini, Local Greenhouse Tomato Lasagna basil pistachio pesto, sun-dried tomato marinara, macadamia pumpkin seed ricotta. I had heard from numerous people how wonderful this dish is and I thought it was time I finally try it. The dish, while vegetable based was not as light as I had imagined, it was surprisingly heavy and I was not even able to finish half of the serving. I am not a vegan but it was great to see the options that are available. Combinations I had never even thought of create such unique flavors.

All in all the dinner was a success, the company was great and the food was a nice change for me. I really look forward to exploring Nut Cheese further and incorporating vegan aspects into my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment