With Fall in full swing it is important to take advantage of both the fruits and vegetables the season has to offer. Fall is all about grounding foods and what is more grounding then a Butternut Squash?
Butternut Squash Soup
- Total Prep time 25 minutes - Total Cook time 45 minutes - Serves 4 (large bowls)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 3/4 pounds small butternut squash, prepared and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, and squash; cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Stir in 4 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer until squash is tender, 20 minutes.
3. Puree soup in two batches.
*Note - When blending hot foods, allow the heat to escape to prevent splattering. Remove the cap from the hole of the blender's lid, and cover with a dish towel.*
3. Stir in juice and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Serve hot,
Optional to top with sour cream, pepper, and pumpkin seeds, if desired, or try some Greek yogurt to maintain this healthy meal.