Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Cilantro-Lime Halibut and Shrimp Tacos

While home at my parents for the weekend I decided it would be nice if I cooked my family dinner and gave my mom a break for a change. Of course she didn’t give me full reign of the kitchen, so we decided on a joint venture. I decided on fish tacos and it was off to the supermarket for some quality shopping time with mom.

Ingredients:
Shrimp
Halibut
Sour Cream (or Greek Yogurt)
Lettuce
Whole Wheat Wraps

For Marinade:
Lime
Cilantro

For Guacamole:
Sweet Onion
Cilantro
Salt and Pepper to season

For Pico De Gallo:
Onion
Cilantro
Lime
Salt and Pepper to season

We decided to work without a recipe and just wing it based on what looked good in the supermarket.

First up I started on the marinade. A mixture of 4 squeezed limes, ¼ cup of fresh cilantro chopped, ½ jalapeño pepper chopped up.  

While I made the marinade my mom started to peel the kernels off of the corn. They were then transferred to a bbq grill pan and tossed on the bbq.

Next it was a quick dip in the marinade for the shrimp and halibut and then off to the bbq. (When cooking indoors in a pan cook the fish and shrimp first and then coat with marinade in pan and let cook.)

While the corn and fish where on the grill I went ahead and started on the Guacamole and Pico de Gallo. I diced the sweet onion, tomato and cilantro and separated into 2 bowls. In one bowl I added some lime and salt and pepper to taste, and in the second I added diced avocado and salt and pepper to taste.

After that it was time to take the fish off the grill and toss the wraps on to toast a bit. After they were toasted it was time to get everything on the table. Including a bowl or lettuce as well as the sour cream. 


This meal was such a great summer dish filled with lots of healthy and nutritious ingredients. I look forward to eating this throughout the remainder of the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment