Thursday, August 4, 2011

Adventures from Agata & Valentina

While out and about on the Upper East Side this week I decided to drop into Agata & Valentina to see what fun foods they had prepared.

I decided to drop by the Appetizing and Smoked Fish counter where I found some great looking cooked octopus as well as mussels in a spicy tomato sauce.

While both of these items tasted fantastic alone. I decided to turn them both into two separate meals of both a salad and “pasta”.

Octopus Salad

Ingredients:
Pre-cooked octopus
½ cup of watermelon
½ cup of cherry tomatoes – halved

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve.

A simple summer salad that tastes great. Can’t get pre-cooked octopus? Try to make some on your own, or substitute for salmon or another fish of your liking. Also great as a light snack without fish.


Zucchini and Spicy Mussel "Pasta"

Ingredients:
Pre-cooked mussels
1 large zucchini
1 tbsp EVOO

Julienne zucchini and add to pan with EVOO. Sauté zucchini until soft and add in mussels until heated. Once warm place in bowl and serve.

Zucchini is an easy vegetable to turn into “pasta” and can be paired with any protein you may like. Have fun experimenting and getting to know your taste buds.  

3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled across your blog and I love it!!!! And I heart Agata. I live right next door... I go in there every minute basically! Love your zucchini pasta idea, I made something like that recently with thicker squash "noodles" dressed with olive oil, lemon and some parm cheese. delish and low carb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laur, I absolutely LOVE both of these recipes! The octopus salad looks delicious and I literally just ate one back home in NY that made me want to never push away octo again!

    Looking forward to making the zucchini "pasta" for Bill and me soon! Any tips on how I make that zucchini into "pasta" without a mandalin?

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't have a mandolin or julienne peeler try using a regular vegetable peeler. The pasta will turn out to be more of a fettuccine then linguine but will also be a perfect for the dish.

    ReplyDelete